Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hola Madrid!

Hi All!

Steph and I have only been here for about 5 hours and we have experienced so much! Our flight from Rome was pretty quick and pleasant. The Alitalia planes had plenty of leg space. My knees never hit the seat in from of me at all!

Like good tourists we researched ahead of time so that we could be prepared to get to our hotel in a quick manner. Madrid has a great underground metro, much like the one in London. Our hotel was located right in the center of the city and it took us only two transfers to reach our hotel. The Hotel Quatro is probably our favorite hotel so far...as far as service, location and design go :). After some quick tips from our friendly receptionist, we headed out to explore the streets Madrid.

Our first stop was a nice little café to quench our thirst and refuel our tummies with some delicious sandwiches. We then headed off to see the Plaza de la Cibeles and the Falacio de Comunicacion building. We let our gps instincts go to work and we headed to a massive park in the center of the city called Parque del Retrio. The park reminded us of the openness just like Hyde Park had in London. We were amazed at how many folks were there. Pretty popular for a Saturday night. I was stopping at every other section of the park to see the street performers in action! A guy was even juggling a chainsaw...crazy. So much stuff going on. They even had a man made lake with rent-a-boats for use...so romantic. Might have to do it tomorrow!

After our long walk we heard loud noises and chants coming our way. The streets were filling up with red and white jerseys, flags and scarves. The local team, Atletico Madrid had won the Uefa Super Cup yesterday and they were back in town to celebrate with their fans. I thought I've struck gold! As soon as we found out what was going on, I had to pull Steph in the middle of the crowd to get the perfect view of the players and the trophy celebration. The streets were packed from all sides. All Steph and I could understand and sing was the "We are the Champions" song. Nevertheless, we had a blast. After that celebration, Steph and I headed to grab a late night snack from Haagen Dazs and went back to the hotel to get some rest for our next day.

So much going on and so much to do. Steph is already asleep but I couldn't leave all of our Eurotrip followers out of the loop with our activities. Hope you enjoy the pictures!

-Dino & Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment