Monday, August 27, 2012

Home of the Dalmatians

Our third leg of our Eurotrip starts here in Makarska, a beautiful sea side city that sits pretty on the eastern coast of Croatia. Our trip started last night at 10:15pm. We decided to travel with the night bus so that we do not lose a day with the lengthy 5 hour drive. The bus also worked in our favor as it was not as blistering hot as it would have been during the day time. Steph, myself and another fella were the only ones on the bus which gave us plenty of space to sleep! We slept through most of the bus ride with the occasional wake up from some pot holes on the streets. I would nudge and wake up Stephanie so that she could see some of the sights as we traveled through the southern region of Bosnia.

With the temperatures being in the high 90's yesterday we had a little storm during the night that we didn't think too much of... as we neared the Bosnian/Croatian border. Right above our cliff side route, there seemed to be a forrest fire that most likely started from a lightning strike high in the hillside. Our driver quickly passed as to not get stuck on the road if the fire would come down. After the border it was all smooth sailing. We reached our destination Makarska an hour ahead of time. Right around 3:45am. We stepped off the bus and were greeted by an older gentlemen asking us if we need lodging accommodations. After I asked about the location and if his apartment complex was close to the beach, we negotiated on a price and headed to our new home for our four days here. (Steph speaking, I had no idea what was going on and this weird Grandpa with no teeth was now giving us a ride. I felt as though I acted pretty calmly and turns out Dino, as always had it all under control.) We ended up paying €90 for our four day stay which is a killer deal. We even have a/c in the room!!! The landlord makes his own wines, champagnes and rum. He was offering us drinks at 4:00am this morning but we were just pooped from our bus ride. When we woke up, he greeted us at the door with a 2 liter bottle of his home made champagne. This was too good to be true! But it tasted great! (see photo) (Steph again, I am pretty sure this guy went and picked all the wild fruit he could find and has been fermenting it for the past 100 years, its straight sugar alcohol, its sweet so Dino thinks its amazing, he put 5 sugar packets in his chamomile tea last night! FYI) Wish I could sneak some back home so everyone could try but I don't want to get in trouble at customs.

After we got ready and put our sunscreen on, Steph and I went down the to beach. Steph said she has never seen water as blue and clear as here. Bonus points for me for picking this place I guess! We did our first session of tanning and swimming and then went out to explore the shore. We are just finishing up our pizza lunch and getting ready to go back to tan. This place is great and would recommend it to anyone who just wants to get away and have a real relaxing vacation!

Dino and I just had to switch sides of the table so we tan both sides evenly. So sunny. Not one cloud in the sky

P.s. Croatia/Croatians are often called dalmatians because this is the birthplace of you guessed it, the Dalmatian dog!
Love and Miss,

Dino & Steph

1 comment:

  1. aaahhhhh the ocean is gorgeous!!!!
    oh, and steph, too :)

    ReplyDelete